The mega event of a week long celebration of games and sports, culture, and an endless creativity and showcasing talents of the student- teachers of College of Teacher Education- PGT, Shillong, were embarked in the College Week Celebration, 2019. The opening ceremony began on the 18th of October, themed “Rainbow Day” at 2:30 PM, with the hoisting of the college flag in the college campus, followed by the unveiling of the College Week Theme, which is, “LABYRINTH ” 2019 by the Principal Dr. Mrs. V. Kharmawphlang, in the Main Classroom. Later, the names of the teams, their captains, vice- captains and mottos were revealed, with each team carrying a placard of their respective team’s logo and motto. The names of the four teams were House of Zeus, House of Athena, House of Poseidon and House of Nike.
Activities Organised by the Different Committees
The Sports committee and the Socio- cultural committee organized different activities with the help of members belonging to their respective committees and volunteers from both the 1st and 3rd Semester student- teachers.
The college week “LABYRINTH ” 2019 kickstarted on the 18th of October 2019,themed “Tracksuit Day” with Marathon at 6:00 AM, followed by Rangoli Competition and Flower Arrangement at 9:00 AM in the college campus. Later during the day, the various indoor activities, such as ludo, draught, Chinese checkers, carom board, table tennis, arm wrestling and musical chair were conducted by the sports committee in the college campus.
On the 21st of October 2019, themed “Jersey Day”, the sports committee conducted the various outdoor activities and the venues were at the North Eastern Hill University Football Ground and Basketball Ground, Mawlai Mawkynroh. The activities conducted on this day were the Inter Class Football Competition, Tug of War and Basketball Competitions, between the 1st and 3rd Semester student- teachers, held from 9:00 AM onwards.
- Football Competition: In the Female category, the 3st semester student- teachers gained victory with the scores of 2 -1, through a penalty shootout. In the Male category, the 1st semester student- teachers gained victory with a score of 1-0
- Tug of War: the Tug Of War was held for both male and female categories. The competition was inter class in which 30 participants, 15 from each of the semesters participated. In this competition, the 1t semester student teachers won over the 3rd semester student- teachers in the female category while in the male category, the 3rd semester student- teachers proved victorious.
- Basketball Competition: in the afternoon of the same day, at 2:00 PM, the Basketball Competition for both male and female categories were conducted by the Sports Committee, in the female category, the 1st semester student- teachers defeated the 3rd semester student- teachers with a score of 8-4. While in the male category, the 3rd semester student- teachers defeated the 1st semester student- teachers defeated the 1st semester student- teachers with a total score of 28- 21.
SOCIO- CULTURAL COMMITTEE
On the 22nd of October, 2019, the socio- cultural committee organized the Singing Competition, Instrumental Competition and Dancing Competition. The theme for the day was “Music Day/ Jeans Day. The various activities were conducted in the main classroom from 9:00AM- 4:00PM. All the participants for the various competitions took part with great zeal and excitement.
The literary activities to be organized by the Literary Committee, which was supposed to be conducted on the 23rd of October has been shifted tentatively to next week on account of the funeral of the Archbishop, Dominic Jala, and as a mark of respect for the departed soul. The various activities to be conducted would include
- Quiz Competition
- Creative Writing Competition, comprising of Short Story, Essay, Love Letter and Poetry
- Slogan Writing and/ or Radio Jingle
- Debate Competition
The last day of the College Week, themed “Formal Day”, that is, the 24th of October, 2019 is graced by the presence of our honorable Chief Guest Shri. Debasish Choudhury , Controller of Examination, NEHU.
On the whole, the College Week “LABYRINTH ” 2019 was a huge success only out of sheer dedication, team participation, cooperation and sportsmanship of all those who were involved in the various activities. I, on behalf the Students Council, would like to end by saying:
Winning is not everything. It only means we are willing to go longer, work harder and give more than anyone else. Winning does not always mean being first, winning means we are doing better than what we had done before.